The Unchanging God
The Unchanging God
GOD DOES NOT CHANGE!
- Word of God - reveals God to us. So we begin reading - and it all seems to
lead no where! These are foreign people of bygone days - primitive,
'superstitious' people. They live in a world where God is personal to so many
of them - as opposed to the 'deistic god' of today.
a. We see God dealing with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob - Moses, David, the prophets
b. We see God bringing judgment upon;
1. cities (Sodom & Gom., Tyre and Sidon)
2. and nations (Egypt, Edom, Assyria, Babylon, Israel & Judah).
c. BUT - that we THEM, that was THEN - this is NOW and US.
- How can WE relate when the times are so different? We live in an
'enlightened age' - a scientific age.
- he link is NOT in people, not in 'times', not in nations, not in science or
even in 'religion' - but in GOD!
a. The God with whom THEY had to do is the God we relate to and deal with.
b. It is the EXACT same God - He does not change in the least particular!
Hence, WE are to be LIKE THEM that believed....
- God' life does not change.
- He is from 'eternity' - Ps. 93:2
- He is the 'eternal King' - Jer. 10:10
- He is the 'immortal God' - Rom. 1:23
- He is the one 'who alone is immortal' - 1 Tim. 6:16
- Before the mountains were born or you brought forth the earth and the world,
from everlasting to everlasting you are God - Ps. 90:2
- Concerning the earth and heavens, they 'will perish, but you remain; they
will all wear out like a garment. Like clothing you will change them and they
will be discarded. But you remain the same, and your years
will never end." (Psa. 102:26-27).
- "I am the First and I am the Last" says this God, Isa. 48:12.
God is not 'made', He simply IS. He does not grow older, wiser or more
ignorant, stronger or more feeble, meaner or more loving.
"God cannot change for the better for He is already perfect, and being perfect,
He cannot change for the worse" (A.W. Pink).
- God's character does not change.
- People change -
1. shock or even lobotomy can alter the character of a person.
2. tastes, outlook, temperment - all seem to change with the age of the person
- sweet people turn mean and crotchety; mean people turn sweet and kind,
people of good will grow cynical and callous.
- God does not so change -
1. "there is no variation or shadow due to change" - Jas. 1:17RSV
2. Malachi 3:6 6 For I am the LORD, I change not...
- Exodus 3:14-15
14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say
unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of
Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and
the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is
my memorial unto all generations. (KJV)
1. God IS - hence, His character will not change - what he WAS, He still IS and
will always BE.
- Exodus 34:5-7
5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and
proclaimed the name of the LORD.
6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God,
merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin,
and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the
fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children, unto the third and
to the fourth generation. (KJV)
- God's truth does not change.
- Our words often change - for we say things we do not mean, we say things we
do not know, and we say things that we can not do.....NOT SO WITH GOD.
- Isaiah 40:6-8
- The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and
all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field:
- The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD
bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass
- The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand
for ever. (KJV
- Psalm 119:89
89 "....For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. (KJV)
- Psalm 119:151-152
151 Thou art near, O LORD; and all thy commandments are truth.
152 Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded
them for ever. (KJV)
- God still stand behind his promises, his threats, his teachings concerning
- While his LAW has change - now under the NT, the essentials of character and
principles are eternal.
- God's ways do not change
- He still hates sins - Prov. 6:6f, Mal. 2 -
- He still sets his love on those that humble themselves before Him -
- He still resists the proud -
- He still rewards those that diligently seek Him -
- He still seeks the fellowship of His creation --- and still on HIS terms
- f. My ways are not your ways -- is still true! Hence the demand of change
(repentance) is still true, Isa. 55:8-9f.
- God's purposes do not change
- a. 1 Samuel 15:29
29 And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a
man, that he should repent. (KJV)
- b. Numbers 23:19
19 God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he
should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and
shall he not make it good? (KJV)
- c. Psalm 33:11
11 The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all
- d. Hebrews 6:17-18
17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the
immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we
might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the
hope set before us: (KJV)
We are to walk with God, to trust in His word, to live by Faith, to stand on
the promises of God, to humbly obey his commandments...to KNOW God.
Back to Table of Contents or on to The Majesty of God