Jeremiah 31:31-34 ' all shall KNOW the Lord......
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and
Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.
For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than
" Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let
the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:
" But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth
me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and
righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.
I . Know a book,by reading, studying, memorizing - thouroughly
acquainted with its contents and makeup.
2 . Living things - more difficult -
a. History & physical make up -
b. How reacts under various circumstances - i.e., a horse.
3. People - added problem of secrets.
a. Can think you'know'them and NOT -
b. Know as much as they reveal or allow to be revealed.
4. God - what an awsome thought - to KNOW God?
a. Psalm 8:1-3
'To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm of David. 0 LORD our Lord, how
excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the
'Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because
of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
-'When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the
stars, which thou hast ordained;
'What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou
'For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him
with glory and honour.
b. Contemplate some of the attributes of God -
1. Spirit - John 4:
c. YET - He would have US to be HIS friend - to walk with Him, to reveal
Himself to us, to desire our companionship,
2. Infinite in Wisdom - Isa 40:28 (cp. 12-14)
3. Infinite in power - Almighty - Gen. 17:1, cp. Eph.
4. Eternal in the heavens - Ps. 90:1-2
5. Unchangeable in being - James 1:17
6. Unchangeable in holiness - Ps. 145:17 - The Holy One of Israel
7. Unchangeable in justice - Ps. 97:2
8. Unchangeable in goodness - Ps. 33:4-5
9. Unchangeable in truth - Heb. 6:17-18, Jn. 17:17
d. He has invited us to become HIS children - so that He can bless us and teach
us His ways.
e. He asks us to be His fellow workers (1 Cor. 3:9).... to Help HIM accomplish
His will among men.
5. Know ABOUT vs. KNOWING - this the hardest part of all.
a. Must know about INORDER to know!
b. Can know about and NOT know!
c. Such'knowing'is part of all the great spiritual men and women of the Bible.
6. As draw close to God - know Him more and more, will WANT to walk in HIS ways -
a. 1 John 2:3-4
b. I John 3:6
7. As we KNOW ABOUT - should motivate us to live before Him (Jer. 9:23-24 again!)
a. We not lie - because he hates lying, he doesn't lie
b. We are merciful - because he was / is merciful to us.
c. We want to be righteous - always doing right - because He is righteous
d. We want to be generous (as opposed to selfish [stealing]) - because He -is
so generous with us -
Back to Table of Contents or on to Knowing God #2